Thursday 1 September 2016

What I Have Learned About Copyright


A_Peach (March 31, 2013). Dog Face- What's Up? [Online Image] Retrieved from https://www.flickr.com/photos/a_peach/8631368705/in/photolist-e9J2cP-pzme9k-FAAAud-keFshf-dAsmE-3Pw8eN-b5yXo-nJKgUT-9pgKCb-ajibvo-eZyMAb-9YpP1Q-bngNfo-3b8e9-8odpPb-8oiqjq-bATasW-4FdhzB-8jJRyb-eZnrWK-dX66T5-9a1Na-43DUzo-bkPbyj-dbHKsY-dX66M9-a4BGg-9YmU7z-9aRtNF-4aAHoV-star-bnUE4w-HwidAd-apYgyS-HwhXXz-9CgWsh-7MoarF-3TA9D-9BtV9r-dp8PV-eZnrMP-649T9s-2phPP-J2PQZs-7JFNNF-9JYTEB-apVxVv-89PL6y-bnmdWh-8qMXP9#undefined 

Dudwnhahaha. (August 24, 2014). "Cute Dog" [Online Image]. Retrieved from https://pixabay.com/en/dog-puppy-smile-cute-pet-dogs-425067/ 

Today I learned about the different types of copyright laws regarding the use of digital images on the internet so that I could post these cute dog photos! Before starting this mini-mission I was aware that only certain photos were legal to publish and post on personal websites and blogs with credit given to the 'authors', but I was unaware that there were different rules for personal and commercial purposes. Additionally, I knew that the Creative Commons existed but I was unaware there were different levels of copyright embedded within these. For example, I knew that photos in the Creative Commons could be shared and redistributed, but I did not know this did not mean you were necessarily able to adapt these images or build upon them in any way. 

I believe these distinctions will be very important to teach to my students about copyright as they may observe me using copyrighted images, and I will need to be able to use them properly to set a good example. Most importantly, the most important thing I will need to teach my students about copyright is to always give credit to the authors of different works they are referring. Making a habit of giving credit to the original creator of work is a skill that is imperative in continuing education and when entering the workplace, as it is something taken very seriously in most professions, so to bring this into my classroom as early as possible is extremely important especially if I am going to be encouraging the use of technology. 


No comments:

Post a Comment