Tuesday 30 August 2016

Welcome to My Blog!

Hey there!

Welcome to my Genius Hour blog! My name is Laura Brown and I am a teacher candidate at Brock University at the Hamilton campus for Junior/Intermediate with a teachable in History. 

I am excited about being a teacher candidate this year, especially to explore alternative teaching options and making connections with people who will be able to assist me throughout my educational journey. I am very interested in working with First Nation communities and incorporating First Nations perspectives into my classroom. 

I recently spent a few months living and working in the James Bay area on the Quebec side (a place also known as Eeyou Istchee) in a Cree community called Nemaska, and am excited to share the knowledge and experiences I gained working this job with my peers and colleagues. The North is a whole different ball-game than Southern Ontario and it has made me view my education and the things I take for granted in a new light that I wish to bring to my classroom!

I also love playing and watching sports, especially hockey (go Habs go!) and am at my happiest when I am outside enjoying nature via camping, hiking, fishing, and other activities. One of my favourite experiences I have had was sleeping on the beach in a tent in Nemaska this summer to try to catch a glimpse of the Northern Lights, and even though I was unsuccessful in this, it was worth it to see the sunset and stars over the end of the Appalachian Mountains.  

Personal Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment